Thursday, April 30, 2009

Slaphappy Meanderings


So yesterday I had a total bonding moment with my cat. Yes, you read that right, I did say my cat. His name is Kitty Kitty, (my sister named him when she was three because she thought it rhymed, but that's another story).
So the night leading into that day, I had gone to bed at 3:45 a.m writing that paper i've previously mentioned, and therefore had only two and a half hours of sleep (sadly, this isn't unusual for me). But that day, lack of sleep coupled with the fact that I've been really depressed lately, and my parents misunderstand the reason to be my essay, I was extremely tired.
I got home wanting nothing more than just to crawl into my bed and sleep for hours and hours. But I had a not unwelcome guest plopped right in the middle of my bed. You guessed it, Kitty Kitty. My cat is getting old -fifteen year old- and spends a vast majority on my bed nowadays.
To get him to move, I laid down and covered him in blankets. I popped my head through under the covers and spent a minute just staring at him and making funny faces, and finally started to pet him.
I felt really proud of myself for making my cat happy until I started realizing that I was falling asleep and patting him really hard. But he was still purring so i figured he was still alive so all's good.
Anyways, while this was all happening, my mom was on the phone and all the sudden she laughed, and i started to think about how actually really weird laughing is. I mean think about all the different laughs you've heard. When did laughing start? Who realized how satisfying it is to show amusement through making this strange sort of chuckling, bubbly noise that sounds unlike any other noise that we make?
I mean, why don't we purr like cats? What if, when we found something funny, we showed it by purring like a cat? Like, whoa that was funny *purr*. This is awkward *purr*
You know, I bet it all has to do with what you grow up around. Sure, babies laugh, but is that because they've seen their parents laugh when they're happy? What if you only purred around your kids. Would they grow up purring instead of laughing? Something to think about.
And please keep in mind that I was falling asleep when I thought of this and resolved to write a blog about it.
But, admit it. You know you're thinking about it too now: a world full of purring instead of laughing.
Love,
Lili
p.s. yes, i did just write a blog about my cat and purring. I take pride in not being normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Hi I'm Lili. I love to bake (food just i case anyone had a question mark there) , read, write, drink tea and coffee listen to music...my ultimate goal in life is to FLY.